(I may earn a small commission on the products mentioned in this post.)
Sometimes it’s tough to find the right words to describe a beach day. Thankfully there are plenty of beach quotes and short beach day phrases to help capture the moment.
As someone who spends a lot of time at the beach, I know that it’s always special. But how do you put into words what you’re experiencing on the beach?
There are other people who have a way with words and it’s okay to use their eloquence.
On occasion, I’ve found myself looking for beach quotes to add to a photo or to text a family member.
In the sections below, I’ll share some of the best short beach day phrases, as well as some beach quotes by famous authors. Two of my favorites are #57 and #88 which include humor.
Short Beach Day Phrases
Let’s begin with the short but sweet beach phrases. These options are perfect as captions on photos, text messages, and Instagram or Pinterest photos.
These short beach phrases will describe to your family where you are, or they can make your friends jealous because they couldn’t come. Put the finishing touch on a beach day by using one of these beach phrases to describe your day.
1. We dream in colors borrowed from the sea.
2. The ocean breeze puts the mind at ease.
3. Red sky at night, sailor’s delight, red sky in the morning, sailor’s warning.
4. Footprints in the sand may wash away, but forever are the memories.
5. Give me coffee to change the things I can, and the beach to accept the things I can’t.
6. Happiness comes in waves.
7. If you need me, call me on my shell.
>>read my Must-Have Beach Items article
8. Find me where the sand meets the water.
9. The sea will set you free.
10. Great times and tan lines.
11. Memories are best in flip flops.
12. Pass the vitamin sea.
13. I can sea clearly now.
14. Where there’s a will there’s a wave.
15. A change in latitude will help my attitude.
16. Sea you soon.
17. Sometimes in the waves of change we find out true direction.
18. Life is like the ocean. It can be calm and still and rough or rigid. In the end it is always beautiful.
19. I followed my heart and it led directly to the beach.
20. Friends, sun, sand, and sea – Now that sounds like summer to me.
21. The sun on my skin, the sand on my feet, and the waves at my back.
22. Tide pools, beach rules!
23. Sky above, sand below, peace within.
24. Good times and tan lines.
25. Sunshine and great times.
26. Persist and the tide will turn in your favor.
27. Sand on my rear, salt in my ear, I need a beer.
28. Tan skin, happiness within.
29. Time wasted at the beach is time well spent.
30. Sunshine is the best medicine.
31. Life’s a beach.
32. Girls just want to have fun.
33. Seas the day.
34. Resting beach face.
35. Sunshine is my favorite accessory.
36. The beach gives me porpoise.
37. Girls just wanna have sun.
38. Stay salty friends.
39. Ocean air, wet hair, and a lawn chair.
40. The waves of the sea will bring you back to me.
41. Long time, no sea.
42. Don’t tide me down.
43. We were mermaid for each other.
44. Tangled hair, don’t care.
45. When in doubt, paddle out.
46. Happier than a seagull with a French fry.
47. You’re the only fish in the sea for me.
48. No one likes shady beaches.
49. Beautiful beach sunsets need cloudy skies.
50. A beach day keeps the doctor away.
51. May you always have a shell in your pocket and sand in your shoes.
52. B.E.A.C.H – Best Escape Anyone Can Have.
53. Life at the beach: Just add water.
54. The sand in my toes and the salt on my skin. That’s my therapy.
55. Life presents many paths, but my favorite is the one to the beach.
56. Hanging with my gull-friends.
57. Namast’ay at the beach.
58. No shirt, no shoes, no problem.
59. Clear skies and tan thighs
Beach Quotes and Sea Quotes
There are thousands of beach quotes and we come up with new ways to describe the ocean each day. I will add to this list of beach quotes, however, these are a few of the most famous beach quotes and many are from well-known authors (Ernest Hemingway, Jaque Costeau, Mark Twain, and Hunter S. Thompson).
My favorite beach quote, or at least funniest might be Jere Carlson (#88), which is brief but funny and appropriate for so many people.
60. I could never stay long enough on the shore; the tang of the untainted, fresh, and free sea air was like a cool quieting thought. – Helen Keller
61. On the beach, you can live in bliss – Dennis Wilson
62. It was as if when I looked into his eyes, I was standing alone on the edge of the world, on a windswept ocean beach. There was nothing but the soft roar of the waves. – Anne Rice
63. He no longer dreamed of storms, nor of women, nor of great occurrences, nor of great fish, nor fights, nor contests of strength, nor of his wife. He only dreamed of places now and the lions on the beach. – Ernest Hemingway
64. The sea is the same as it has been since before men ever went on it in boats. – Ernest Hemingway
65. The sea, once it cast its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. – Jacques Yves Cousteau
66. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sail. Explore, dream, discover. – Mark Twain
67. Because there is nothing more beautiful than the way the ocean refuses to stop kissing the shoreline, no matter how many times it’s sent away. – Sarah Kay
68. The ocean is more ancient than the mountains, and frightened with the memories of the dreams of time – H.P. Lovecraft
69. Where does a wise man kick a pebble? On the beach. Where does a wise my hide a leaf? In the forest. – G.K. Chesterton
70. Be shore of yourself. Come out of your shell. Take time to coast. Avoid pier pressure. Seas life’s beauty. Don’t get so tide down on work that you miss life’s beautify waves.
71. I love the beach. I love the sea. All my life I live within – in front of the sea. – Rafael Nadal
72. In every out thrust headland, in every curving beach, in every grain of sand there is the story of the earth. – Rachel Carson
73. The true beauty of a woman can be observed when she has spent the day at the beach. – Troian Bellisario
74. Don’t grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach. – Michelle Held
75. Waves of the sea, help me get back to me. – Jill Davis
76. After every visit to the beach, it’s hard to believe that we live in a material world. – Pam Shaw
77. To escape and sit quietly on the beach – that is my idea of paradise. Emilia Wickstead78. The ocean stirs the heart, inspires the imagination and brings eternal joy to the soul. – Robert Wyland
79. My life is like a stroll upon the beach, as near to the ocean’s edge as I can go. – David Thoreau
80. Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air. Ralph Waldo Emerson
81. Catch a wave and you’re sitting on top of the world – Beach Boys
82. The beach is not a place to work, to read, write or to think. – Anne Morrow Lindbergh
83. You cannot cross the ocean until you have courage to lose sight of the shore. – Christopher Columbus
84. Why do we love the sea? It is because it has some potent power to make us think things we like to think. – Robert Henri
85. Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? – Hunter S. Thompson
86. The coconut trees, lithe and graceful, crowd the beach like a minuet of slender elderly virgins adopting flippant poses. – William Manchester
87. Don’t grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach. – Michelle Held
88. Today at the beach I could feel the men dressing me with their eyes. – Jere Carlson
89. To myself I am only a child playing on the beach, while vast oceans of truth lie undiscovered before me. – Isaac Newton
Beach Quotes Bring Back Memories
For some reason these quotes can bring back memories from long ago. Can you ever remember attending a beach that you didn’t enjoy (okay, I’m sure a few of you had tough experiences)?
A beach day is usually full of memories with friends and family. Whether there is rain or sun, wind or a breeze, most beach days will remain with us for years.
When I read a few of these quotes I remembered visiting the beach with my grandfather and father. I remember traveling to the beach with friends and walking the beach with my dad.
The beach quotes that I’ve assembled fill a range of emotions from laughter to missing family who are now gone.
Beach quotes are a special way to remember a day in the sun, sand and water. Whether you are looking for eloquent writing of the beach or just a few short beach phrases, I compiled a list that should make you smile, laugh, and remember.
Beach quotes look great frame on a wall or as a caption on an Instagram photo. Go ahead, make your friends jealous with that beautiful beach sunset or let your family know what they are missing.
Mark Twain, Hunter S. Thompson and others have shared their perpsectives of the ocean and now it’s time to share yours. If you have any fun or memorable beach quotes, let me know and I’ll add it to the list. I know I’m missing many!